Utrecht student life
Studying at HU University of Applied Sciences means studying in a beautiful medieval city – one of the oldest in the Netherlands. Hosting 70,000 students from 125 countries – almost a quarter of the city’s population – Utrecht is a real academic melting pot.
We understand you want a good uni-life balance, and Utrecht will take care of that! Its lively, cosmopolitan student scene provides plenty of opportunities to enrich your time here. Very much geared towards young people, Utrecht offers great shopping and an eclectic selection of cinemas, theatres and music venues. The old city is bursting with pubs, clubs and affordable restaurants. One of the nicest things of Utrecht is the lively buzz of its canals. While boats and canoes pass by, you can have a beer or try a Dutch meatball in one of the bars or restaurants at the docks.
Did you know
- The city of Utrecht (and its namesake province) is located in centre of the Netherlands, making it ideal for exploring the country (and beyond!)
- Utrecht Central Station is the railway hub of the country, with frequent links to Amsterdam (25 mins.) and Schiphol International Airport (30 mins.)
- According to BBC, Utrecht is the most happiest place in the world
- Utrecht is Europe’s most competitive region
- 85% of Utrecht’s residents are trilingual
- 82% of the locals move around the city by foot or bicycle
- According to Visit Utrecht, the top 10 must-sees include the canals and shipyards, the Dom Tower and the Miffy Museum.
What else can you do to enrich your student years?
You will find that some extracurricular activities are the cherry on the pie that is your life as a student. We offer many activities on and off-campus for you to partake in.
Whether you are a serious athlete or just enjoy recreational sports, campus-based Olympus Sports Centre offers a full range of facilities and welcomes all HU students, offering a 50% on many activities. three sports halls, four squash courts, a fitness zone, a dance hall and a café, plus outdoor football, rugby and hockey pitches, two beach volleyball courts and nine all-weather tennis courts.
Are you into the arts? Head for Parnassos. This cultural centre provides reasonably priced courses and workshops in every field of the arts, including dance, theatre, music, film, creative writing and photography.
With so many international students here, it is no surprise that Utrecht has an active branch of the Erasmus Student Network (ESN). This organisation aims to make you feel at home by bringing you into contact with other students, Dutch and international, and helping you learn more about your host city and country. It offers activities throughout the year, including excursions, parties, international cookery evenings, weekends away, sports days and social events. ESN Utrecht also provides practical help and advice about all aspects of life and study in the Netherlands.
"Utrecht is a beautiful city with many historical buildings and friendly people."Minh Anh Vietnam